Monday 9 October 2017

Delicious immune-boosting elderberry tea

Early September I managed to pick quite a big amount of elderberries which I washed, dried and stored in my freezer with the plan of making my own elderberry syrup later on this Autumn. Unfortunately I got a cold before I managed to make my elderberry syrup, and the first few days I just felt too ill to get started on it. But luckily I found this wonderful immune-boosting elderberry tea recipe which is super quick to make and where the sweetener is optional! 

You can also use dried elderberries - you'll need slightly less of them than when using frozen ones.

Ingredients for 1 mug of elderberry tea

  • 450ml filtered water (I use a Berkey water filter)
  • 3 tablespoons of frozen/fresh elderberries or 2 tablespoons of dried elderberries
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric paste (turmeric and black pepper boiled together for min. 7mins to activate the curcumin - you can make a batch and keep it in the fridge)
  • 1 tsp pf raw honey (optional)

Instructions

  1. Put the water and elderberries into a small saucepan.
  2. Add the turmeric paste and cinnamon.
  3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. This helps bring out the beneficial properties of the elderberries.
  4. Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
  5. Finally, strain through a fine mesh strainer and pour into your mug
  6. Stir in raw honey (if using).
  7. You can also drink this tea cold: just pour your strained liquid into a mason jar and allow it to cool, then refrigerate until cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment